In 1917 D. F. Leake started cooking fudge and peanut bars on fourth floor of building 84 Pryor Street in downtown Atlanta Georgia. The factory consisted of five coke furnaces and four marble slabs. In 1932 during the depression the Company went bankrupt. Paul Dorn, recent Georgia Tech graduate, considered the 5 & 10 cent store business. He recognized these stores did tremendous candy sales but most candy was shipped in from Chicago. He offered $500 for the plant and became owner of Crown Candy Company. In 1936 Joe High Williams purchased half interest in the business and the company moved to larger facility. These new owners continued to sell 5 & 10 stores and eventually sold national variety and department stores. Candy was sold by the pound from candy display cases.
Crown Candy made Fudge, Pecan Divinity, Peanut Brittle, Caramel Coconut Tips, Toasted Macaroons, Peanut Squares, Peanut Clusters, Pecan Logs, and Pecan Caramel Clusters-same quality candy made today.
In 1962 the business was purchased by E L Brooking, who was Vice President Brock Candy Company and who had been involved in the candy business since 1940. The company continued to sell regional and national variety and department stores as well as wholesalers. The company moved to Macon Georgia in 1971 to a larger more modern facility. The company continues to make fine candies at the Macon Georgia location. The current owners who began with Crown Candy in the 1970s continue to insure quality candies are made with time tested recipes using the finest ingredients.